Seeing as I’m taking time off from my regular job this week, I’m seizing any opportunity I can to share more of my favourite meals with you guys!!
Which of course leads to this latest addition…my super quick and easy deconstructed maki sushi bowl. Oh yes.
It’s sushi…in a bowl
This sushi bowl will give you all the flavours and textures of good ol’ classic sushi, WITHOUT any of the awkward rolling or fiddling.
Basically, it’s a way to sate a sushi craving for those people who can’t (or don’t want to) actually make sushi!
You can of course make this with brown rice, but I would highly recommend buying sushi rice for this because it is the essence of what sushi is all about. You can buy it in large bags from most supermarkets or world foods stores. It’s cheap and it lasts ages (unless, like me, you eat this bowl at least once a week).
For accompanying veggies I usually keep it simple with cucumber, avocado and maybe a bit of pickled ginger if I have it. However, the beautiful thing about this dish is that anything goes – raw carrot, sauerkraut, baked tofu and edamame beans are all great options.
The dressing for this sushi bowl is super simple – just three ingredients, each of which I highly recommend you keep in your cupboard at all times as they are so so useful. Adding a bit of sliced nori seaweed will definitely help it taste all the more like sushi…but don’t worry if you don’t have any as it’s not essential.
Overall, this meal is a quick, easy, lean go-to option, which works wonders as a lunch for work or school, or as a speedy yet filling dinner.
I hope you guys enjoy this and as always, let me know in the comments if you have any questions or feedback. 🙂
Easy Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup dried sushi rice
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and stone removed
- 1/2 nori sheet, cut into strips (optional)
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar or mirin
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tsp coconut sugar
- Generous sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Your choice of toppings:
- Cucumber, cut into cubes or strips
- Carrot, shredded or cut into strips
- Baked tofu
- Edamame beans
- Pickled ginger
- Picked cabbage or sauerkraut.
- Place the sushi rice into a saucepan and add freshly boiled water (from the kettle) to about an inch above the rice.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring the rice to the boil, then simmer on a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all of the water. Once cooked, turn off the heat and let the rice sit for about ten minutes to become fluffy and sticky.
- To make the dressing, mix the rice vinegar, tamari and coconut sugar together in a small jar or bowl.
- Peel and chop the veggies and prepare other toppings.
- Place the rice into a bowl and add the veggies with the sliced nori. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Drizzle over the dressing and enjoy!