PandaVita Baobab Powder
A few weeks ago, the guys at PandaVita very kindly sent me a pouch of their beautiful baobab powder to review. As someone who’s not exactly unfamiliar with superfood powders, I was pretty excited. I already love to play around with cacao, maca and green powders in my smoothies, so I was keen to see how baobab could feature as well.
I’ve thrown my honest and truthful thoughts here into a blog post so anyone considering trying baobab can decide whether it’s for them. There’s also a fun recipe for baobab and strawberry ice cream right at the end, so be sure to scroll on for that!
What is Baobab Powder?
Baobab powder is extracted from the pod of the baobab, an African fruit found naturally in upper East Ghana. The food is a staple in African homes and has been found to have some impressive nutritional value. Not only does baobab have six times more vitamin c than oranges, it also contains more antioxidants than blueberries, more potassium than a banana and twice the amount of calcium than milk.
Baobab also has a high fibre content and is rich in prebiotic complexes, all of which aid in keeping your gut healthy. And on top of that, it also delivers substantial helpings of iron, zinc and magnesium too.
The beauty of the baobab is that it dries out naturally, whilst still on the tree. This means very minimal processing is required to extract the powder.
The pulp inside is dry and sinewy. Once it’s matured, the fruit drops off the tree and the powder is sieved out through a careful and steady process. Baobab seeds are later made into oil for cosmetics and skincare.
Benefits of Baobab Powder
According to both studies and anecdotal evidence. the benefits of consuming baobab 0n a regular basis are numerous.
- Increased energy levels
- Enhanced mood
- Boosted immunity, due to high vitamin C content
- Brighter and more youthful skin, due to antioxidants
- Naturally detoxing and liver cleansing
- Stronger nails and teeth and, over time, increased bone strength.
My Experience & Reasons to Buy
One of the main benefits I noticed after having the baobab powder was an increase in sustained energy. For me this is always going to be something I value; my days are filled with so many tasks, activities and things I want to achieve hat I welcome all the help I can get! Plus it made workouts after work seem not so daunting; I actually felt like I still had ample energy to comfortably work out rather than dipping into my reserves after a long day.
Secondly, probably thanks to the high vit C content of the baobab, I noticed definite improved immunity and dare I say it, recovery after exercise. There were one or two times when I felt a bit of a sniffle coming on; one teaspoon of baobab in my morning smoothie and I felt alright again by later in the day.
If you’re new to superfood powders and looking to incorporate one or two into your diet, baobab is a fantastic place to start. On its own the taste is pleasant – citrusy and almost sherbety (MUCH less scary than those green powders!). When added to other foods it’s neutral enough both in colour and flavour to be at best complimentary and at worst undetectable.
Another thing I love is its versatility. Again, thanks to its mild taste baobab can be added to pretty much anything without spoiling or diluting other flavours.
Why, might I hear you ask, should I buy my baobab from PandaVita? Well, there are a number of things I love about this company that make me more than willing to support it.
Not only is their baobab of a distinct quality, they also have one of the best customer services from a superfood brand out there.
- PandaVita is 100% natural and 100% certified organic
- They work directly with their growers to ensure fair trade all round
- 5% of their profits go to charity
- Every order qualifies for FREE first class, one-day delivery in the UK
- They ship in under 24 hours
- They have a rare money-back guarantee
- You can get 10% off with the code 10OFF, or 15% off when you subscribe to a regular delivery.
(PSST… you can get 20% off with my exclusive code – scroll to the bottom to find it!)
Baobab Powder Uses
Incorporating this magical powder into your daily life is easy thanks to it’s myriad of uses.
- Drink as a tonic, simply 2 tsp with water
- Scatter over porridge, cereal or overnight oats
- Add 1-2 tsp to smoothies (my favourite way!)
- Add 1-2 tbsp to any baked good recipe. It’ll hardly affect the flavour and will add a boost of nutrition. Plus, baobab also makes a great binding agent thanks to its high levels of pectin.
- Add to salad dressings and marinades.
- Add a pinch to savoury dishes whilst cooking, much like you would salt or other seasoning.
- Blend up into homemade ice cream – see recipe below!
Baobab & Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
I wanted to think up a fun way to enjoy the benefits of baobab. Of course an easy way would be a smoothie or smoothie bowl, but what’s better than a dessert that tastes naughty, but is totally nutritious??!
I was pretty pleased with how this ice cream turned out and had to stop myself from eating the whole tray. It’s raw, vegan, gluten-free and full of natural healthy fats. It’s even non-vegan boyfriend approved! So you know it’s good.
Note: This recipe was inspired by The Hardihood‘s Purple Cream.
200g strawberries (frozen or fresh)
130g raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 3 hours, drained and rinsed
1 x 400ml can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight and using the top layer of cream only
115g coconut sugar
1 tbsp baobab powder
1/2 tsp vanilla powder or extract
A pinch of sea salt or himalayan pink salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a high powdered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- If the ice cream is too hard to scoop after removing from the freezer, allow to thaw slightly for 15 minutes or blend it again before serving.
Use the discount code PEACHY20 to get 20% off your first baobab order with PandaVita!